Professor Jefferson W. Tester
David Croll Chair, Sustainable Energy Systems
Associate Director for Energy, Cornell Center for a Sustainable Future
jwt54 at cornell.edu
- Proctor & Gamble Fellow
- Hertz Foundation Fellow
- Los Alamos National Laboratory Post-Doctoral Fellow
- Ph.D., MIT, 1971
- M.S., Cornell University, 1967
- B.S., Cornell University, 1966
- Mak, X.Y., R.P. Ciccolini, J.M. Robinson, J.W. Tester, and R.L. Danheiser, "Synthesis of amides and lactams insupercriticial carbon dioxide", J. Organic Chemistry, in press (2010).
- Tester, J.W., W.S. Joyce, L. Brown, B. Bland, A. Clark, T. Jordan, R. Allmendinger, S. Beyers, D. Blackwell, M. Richards, and Z. Frone, "Co-generation opportunities for lower grade EGS resources", Proceedings of the Workshop on Geothermal Reservoir Engineering, Stanford University (2010).
- Tester, J.W., "Vapor-liquid equilibrium data and predictive correlations for the carbon dioxide-dimethyl carbonate binary mixture", J. Chemical & Engineering Data, accepted 2010.
- Peterson, A.A., J.W. Tester, and F. Vogel, "Water-in-water tracer studies of supercritical-water reversing jets using neutron radiography", J. Supercritical Fluids, 54, 250-257 (2010).
- Stern, H., D. Sadoway, and J.W. Tester, "Copper sulfate reference electrode potential as a function of temperature", J. Electroanalytical Chemistry, accepted, 2011.
- Thorsteinsson, H. and J.W. Tester, "Barriers and Enablers to U.S. Geothermal District Heating System Development in the United States" Energy Policy, 38, 803-813 (2009).
- Thorsteinsson, H., C. Augustine, B. Anderson, M. Moore, P. von Rohr, T. Rothenfluh, and J.W. Tester, "Sustainable energy opportunities within the geothermal continuum" submitted 2008.
- Peterson, A.A., P. Vontobel, F. Vogel, J.W. Tester, "Normal-phase dynamic imaging of supercritical -water salt precipitation using neutron radiography," J. Supercritical Fluids, 49, 71-78 (2009).
- Frey, K., M. Modell, and J.W. Tester, "Density-and-Temperature-Dependent Volume Translation for the SRK EOS: 1. Pure Fluids." Fluid Phase Equilibria, 279, 56-63 (2009).
- Augustine, C. and J.W. Tester, "Hydrothermal flames: From phenomenological experimental demonstrations to quantitative understanding," Journal of Supercritical Fluids, 47, 415-430 (2009).
- Thorsteinsson, H., C. Augustine, B.J. Anderson, M.C. Moore, and J.W. Tester, "The impacts of drilling and reservoir technology advances on EGS Exploitation," Proceedings of the 33rd Workshop on Geothermal Reservoir Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, January 28-30, 2008.
- Peterson, A.A., F. Vogel, R.P. Lachance, M. Froling, M. Antal, and J.W. Tester, "Thermochemical biofuel production in hydrothermal media: A review of sub- and supercritical water technologies," Energy Environ. Sci. 1, 32-65 (2008).
- Luterbacher, J.S., M. Froling, F. Vogel, F. Marechal, and J.W. Tester, "Hydrothermal gasification of waste biomass: sustainable process development using life cycle assessment," Environmental Science & Technology, 43, 1578-1583 (2009).
- Peterson, A.A., P. Vontobel, F. Vogel, J.W. Tester, "In situ visualization of the performance of a supercritical-water salt separator using neutron radiography," J. Supercrit Fluid, 43 (3), 490-499 (2008).
- Augustine, C., J. Potter, R. Potter, J.W. Tester, "Feasibility of spallation drilling in a high pressure, high density, aqueous environment: characterization of heat transfer from an H2-O2 flame jet," Proceedings of Geothermal Resources Council Annual Meeting, September 30 - October 3, 2007.
- Frey, K., C. Augustine, R.P. Ciccolini, S.M. Paap, M. Modell, J.W. Tester, "Volume translation in equations of state as a means of accurate property estimation," Fluid Phase Equilibria, 260, 316-325 (2007).
- Anderson, B.J., B. Peters, B.L. Trout, and J.W. Tester, "Molecular simulations of ice and gas hydrate nucleation," Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on the Physics and Chemistry of Ice, 2007.
- Ploeger, J.M., W.H. Green, and J.W. Tester, "Co-oxidation of ammonia and ethanol in supercritical water, Part 2: Modeling demonstrates the importance of H2NNOx," Int'l J. Chem. Kinetics 40, 653-662 (2008).
- Svanstrom, M., M. Froling, and J.W. Tester, "Surrounding system implications on the environmental performance of sewage sludge in supercritical water oxidation," Proceedings of European Biosolids & Organic Resource Conference, Wakefield, United Kingdom, 13-15 November 2006.
- Ploeger, J.M., M. Mock, and J.W. Tester, "Co-oxidation of ammonia and ethanol in supercritical water: Experimental results," AIChE J., 53 (4), 941-947 (2007).
- Ploeger, J.M., W.H. Green, J.W. Tester, "Co-oxidation of methylphosphonic acid and ethanol in supercritical water II: Elementary reaction rate model," J. Supercrit. Fluid., 39, 239-245 (2006).
- Ploeger, J.M., P.A. Bielenberg, R.P. Lachance, and J.W. Tester, "Co-oxidation of methylphosphonic acid and ethanol in supercritical water I: Experimental results," J. Supercrit. Fluid., 39, 233-238 (2006).
- Tester, J. W. et al, "The Future of Geothermal Energy: Impact of enhanced geothermal systems (EGS) on the United States in the 21st century," Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Department of Energy Report, Idaho National Laboratory, INL/EXT-06-11746 (2006).
- Tester, J.W. et al, "Impact of enhanced geothermal systems on US energy supply in the twenty-first century," Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A., 365, 1057-1094 (2007).
- Vorum, M. and J.W. Tester, "Potential carbon emissions reductions from geothermal energy by 2030," in Tackling Climate Change in the U.S., American Solar Energy Society, Charles Kutscher, Editor, page 145 (2007).
- Vorum, M. and J.W. Tester, "Economics and environmental impact of expanded development of geothermal resources," Proceedings of Solar 2006 Conference, Denver, CO, July 2006.
- Augustine, C.R., J.W. Tester, and B.J. Anderson, "A comparison of geothermal with oil and gas well drilling costs" Proceedings of the 31st Workshop on Geothermal Reservoir Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, January 30-February 1, 2006.
- Ploeger, J.M., A.C. Madlinger, and J.W. Tester, "Revised global kinetic measurements of ammonia oxidation in supercritical water," Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 45, 6842-6845 (2006).
- Anderson, B.J., J.W. Tester, G.P. Borghi, and B.L. Trout, "Properties of inhibitors of methane hydrate formation via molecular dynamics simulations," J.A.C.S., 127, 17852-17862 (2005).
- Smith, C.J., M.W.S. Tsang, A.B. Holmes, R.L. Danheiser, and J.W. Tester, "Palladium catalysed aryl amination reactions in supercritical carbon dioxide," Org. Biomol. Chem., 3, 3767-3781 (2005).
- Timko, M.T., A.J. Allen, R.L. Danheiser, J.I. Steinfeld, K.A. Smith, and J.W. Tester, "Improved conversion and selectivity of a Diels-Alder cycloaddition by use of emulsions of carbon dioxide and water," I&ECR, 45, 1594-1603 (2006).
- Svanström, M., T.P. Naila, M. Fröling, A. Peterson, and J.W. Tester, "Choosing between green innovative technologies - hydrothermal processing of biowastes," J. Adv. Oxid. Technol. 10 (1), 1-9 (2007).
- Svanström, M., M. Fröling, and J.W. Tester, "Supercritical water oxidation of sewage sludge - environmental implications of the surrounding system," Proceedings of the Advanced Oxidation Technologies Conference, Chicago, IL, October 2005.
- Dunetz, J.R., R.P. Ciccolini, M. Fröling, S.M. Paap, A.J. Allen, A.B. Holmes, J.W. Tester, and R.L. Danheiser, "Pictet-Spengler reactions in multiphasic supercritical carbon dioxide/CO2-expanded liquid media. In situ generation of carbamates as a strategy for reactions of amines in supercritical carbon dioxide," Chemical Communications, (no vol #), 4465-4467 (2005).
- Anderson, B.J., J.W. Tester, and B.L. Trout, "Predictions of the phase behavior of hydrates via ab initio methods and analytical solutions of the van Der Waals-Platteeuw model," Fifth International Conference on Gas Hydrates, Trondheim, Norway, June 13-16, 2005.
- Timko, M.T., R.L. Danheiser, J.I. Steinfeld, J.W. Tester, and K.A. Smith, "Reaction rates in emulsions of dense carbon dioxide and water formed by power ultrasound," AIChE J., 52 (3), 1127-1141 (2006).
- Anderson, B.J., R. Radhakrishnan, J.W. Tester, and B.L. Trout, "Molecular computations for predictions of clathrate-hydrate nucleation and phase-behavior of multi-component hydrates," ACS National Meeting, San Diego, CA, March 13-17, 2005.
- Fröling, M. and J.W. Tester, "Hydrothermal Processing in Biorefineries - A Case Study of the Environmental Performance," Proceedings of 7th World Congress of Chemical Engineering, Glasgow, Scotland, July 10-14, 2005.
- Anderson, B.J., M.Z. Bazant, J.W. Tester, and B.L. Trout, "Application of the Cell Potential Method to Predict Phase Equilibria of Multi-Component Gas Hydrate Systems," J. Phys. Chem. B., 109, 8153-8163 (2005).
- Height, M.J., J.B. Howard, J.W. Tester, and J.B. Vander Sande, "Carbon Nanotube Formation and Growth via Particle-Particle Interaction," J. Phys. Chem. B, 109, 12337-12346 (2005).
- Ploeger, J., R. Lachance, P.A. Sullivan, J.L. Dinaro-Blanchard, J.W. Tester, and W.H. Green, "Modeling of Reaction Networks for Supercritical Water Oxidation," Combust. Sci. Technol. Special Issue, 178, 363-398 (2006).
- Marks, D.H, Tester, J.W., and Hill, T., "Pathways to a sustainable energy future", Chapter 7.2 of Part 7 in Encyclopaedia of Hydrocarbons, Istituto della Encycloedia Italiana fondata da Giovanni Treccani, Rome, Italy, (2006).
- Vogel, F., J.L DiNaro, P.A. Marrone, S. Rice, W. Peters, K.A. Smith and J. W. Tester, "Critical Review of Kinetic Data for the Oxidation of Methanol in Supercritical Water," J. Supercrit. Fluid. 34, 249-286 (2005).