Books and Book Chapters
- Milora, S.L. and J.W. Tester, Geothermal Energy as a Source of Electric Power: Thermodynamic and Economic Design Criteria, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 186 pages (1976).
- Tester, J.W. and C.O. Grigsby, "Geothermal Energy," chapter in the Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, Vol. II, 3rd ed., pp. 746-790 (1980).
- Tester, J.W., "Energy Conversion and Economic Issues for Geothermal Energy," chapter in the Handbook of Geothermal Energy, Gulf Publishing Co., Houston, Texas, pp. 471-586 (1982).
- Hong, G.T., M. Modell and J.W. Tester, "Binary Phase Diagrams from a Cubic Equation of State," Chapter 13 in Chemical Engineering at Supercritical Fluid Conditions, Ann Arbor Science, Ann Arbor, Michigan (1983).
- Tester, J.W., "Development of Hot Dry Rock Geothermal Resources: Technical and Economic Issues," Chapter 9 in Energy: For Ourselves and Our Posterity, Prentice Hall, New York, pp. 209-228 (1985).
- Armstead, H.C.H. and J.W. Tester, Heat Mining, E. & F.N. Spon Ltd., London and New York, 478 pages (1987).
- Tester, J.W., D.O. Wood and N.A. Ferrari, (eds.), Energy and the Environment in the 21st Century, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1006 pages (1991).
- Tester, J. W. and M. Modell, Thermodynamics and Its Applications, 3rd ed., Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 960 pages (1997).
- Tester, J.W., E.M. Drake, M.W. Golay, M.J. Driscoll, and W.A. Peters, Sustainable Energy - Choosing Among Options, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 850 pages (2005).
- Marks, D.H, Tester, J.W., and Hill, T., "Pathways to a sustainable energy future", Chapter 7.2 of Part 7 in Encyclopaedia of Hydrocarbons, Istituto della Encycloedia Italiana fondata da Giovanni Treccani, Rome, Italy, (2006).